Reed Group is a mid-sized (about 450 employees) company that's growing crazy fast. We help large employers (mostly) manage and understand employee absences. We build software, help people cope during big life crises, and web-publish medical information (at disabilityguidelines.com.)
What's life like here? It never gets boring. You get to work with a wide variety of smart, caring people – techies, nurses, and other folks who chose Reed Group because the work we do matters. We're business casual (translation: jeans are OK but shorts are not) and are planning to move next door, into a remodeled, contemporary office space that will be much more awesome than our current, kinda boring, cube-land space.
Our Service Center is looking for energetic people who are compassionate and caring, and bring their heart to work every day. You'll need to be good at thinking on your feet, and at helping people who are making major life decisions. You'll find yourself working with a committed group of colleagues who are not afraid of hard work or rapid change, who are eager to share ideas and passionate about helping people. We go home every day knowing that the work we do matters – we make a difference in people's lives.
What You'd Be Doing, Aka Essential Functions
• Help people through the logistics and real-world concerns of managing their leave of absence from work
• Answer incoming calls to the Service center from people who need help with their leaves of absence
• After training, support callers by serving as a subject matter expert on a variety of leaves of absence
• Initiate new leave cases in our software system
• Identify and expedite priority issues
• Perform work under direct supervision, continuing to gain knowledge about disability/leaves management to improve ability to take on more complex responsibilities
• Manage some leave paperwork as needed
• Team with Nurse Case Managers and Leave Specialists, especially on complex cases
• Attend department meetings and company meetings.
• Other duties as required.
• Compassion, diplomacy, good judgment, professionalism, and intelligence
• Strong typing skills and basic computer skills: email and Microsoft Office are especially useful
• Yes, we'll consider you without higher education; intelligence and the ability to learn on the job are just as important to us as a college degree
• 1 or more years experience in customer service are a plus
• Knowledge of Disability Management, FMLA, and Workers Compensation a plus, as is a background in insurance or health care.
• Must complete the certified customer service training within 90 days of hire (this is paid training.)
• Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills and a positive attitude
• Well organized, able to multi-task and identify priorities
• Must possess a high level of confidentiality and professionalism
• Must be able to speak and understand English (fluently); candidates who are bilingual English/Spanish also desired
• We welcome disabled applicants